1.26.2006

Frustration.

Okay, so I like to go on interviews. I like to interview for jobs. It's fun. And it's great practice for the one interview that I'll have that will actually result in a job offer. But I'm already veering off-track....

As I am prone to do, I had a job interview with a fairly reputable engineering firm for an open HR position they had. I did not get the job. However, as I do with most of my interviewers, I asked them if they could give me any pointers on my interviewing skills and what hard skills they thought I would need to better my chances of employment. Without fail, everyone has always responded with some comments. Until now. Here is the response that I got from this firm:
Thank you for the inquiry. For legal reasons, we, as HR professionals should never answer this type of inquiry. Therefore, I cannot give you the constructive criticism that you desire. I hope you understand. Best wishes in your search for a position.
Well, I don't understand. I suspect that you don't want me to sue you because you didn't like the color of my tie, or you wanted to hire another women to work in the all-female department. But I'm not the litigious sort. I just want to know where my interviewing skills can use some improvement and what areas are already strong. I just want your help.

I really wanted to write back something like "All I want you to do is to help me be a better interviewee! I'm not going to sue you. I just want to know what I can do better." But I didn't and I won't. Because that's not going to do me any good, especially if I find myself interviewing with them in the future. So I'm moving on. But I wanted to share before I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home