5.25.2006

A Chink in Ahold's Armor?

From today's Central Penn Business Journal
Ahold: Sales fall at Giant stores
Sales at Carlisle-based Giant Food Stores fell 5.6 percent, to $1.8 billion, in the first quarter this year, according to Royal Ahold NV, Giant’s parent company. Giant Food Stores also operates Martin’s Food Markets and Tops Markets. Total revenue at Royal Ahold rose by 8.6 percent, to $18 billion, primarily because of the company’s U.S. food-service distribution segment, according to a company earnings statement. Anders Moberg, Royal Ahold’s chief executive officer, said increased competition from rivals such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and high energy prices were cutting into sales. As a result, he said Royal Ahold is reviewing unprofitable units, including the Tops chain. Royal Ahold is based in the Netherlands. - Angela Doody
I think that works out to somewhere around $5 million (give or take a few hundred-thousand).

I should note that I have nothing personal against Giant. I like their free wi-fi. I just don't agree with their pricing. And that infernally long receipt I get when I buy just one item.

2 Comments:

On 25.5.06, Blogger matt declared...

It is good to see that you are happy that a business is doing poorly.

Funny how you have no problem shopping at the evil monopoly Walmart which enjoys undercutting local businesses and screwing their employees.

 
On 26.5.06, Blogger Nathan Hackman declared...

Hey! That receipt is really long, and they never give me any of those special coupons either. Why has Giant chosen to smite me?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home