7.10.2006

Pure Passion

Yesterday, Italy won the World Cup by beating France in penalty kicks. I had the opportunity to view the game at a local italian establishment that bled azzuri blue (I know I just said blue blue, but so what). I found great joy in watching them celebrate their country's victory, as they chanted, banged on stationary objects and ran around the restaurant. Their passion warmed my heart.

I enjoy seeing people passionate about things that I am passionate about. I am not a fan of Italian football, but I heart British football. I can imagine that I would have celebrated in the same manner had my lions won the Cup.

And that got me to further thinking, "How do people know what I'm passionate about?" I know a friend is passionate about music because of his extensive knowledge and understanding of music. His passion is evident when he talks about music and when he's imparting some of his knowledge to others. Otherwise, he wouldn't care if you knew the difference between Snow Patrol and Arctic Monkeys. I have another friend who strikes me as passionate about her work. Ask her about crank-shafts or counter-weights and she gets animated. I can't understand all that she's saying, but her passion is evident. Otherwise, she wouldn't bother explaining it. I will often engage these friends in conversation because I enjoy seeing their passion come alive. I like music, but I'm not passionate about it. And let's not talk about work.

But I like to think I'm passionate about my faith. And I hope that is evident in the way that I encourage others in their faith. I am interested in people's spritual lives. So much so, that some may call me nosey. But when it's your life at stake, I don't think I would be a very loving person if I wasn't concerned and interested in what was going on in your spiritual life. And I would be upset if there was something that I could have done for you and I totally missed it.

1 Comments:

On 10.7.06, Blogger matt declared...

I don't think that you can call PizzaTown a local Italian establishment.

What about those people that don't have passion? Some people are very passionate while others don't seem to have much passion about anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home