2.20.2009

Confession

Yesterday, I was angry. 
 
It's not ironic that we were just discussing anger in my small group earlier this week. 
 
You see, a local newspaper did a story about the economic situation and how it's affecting local churches.  And they happened to discuss my church specifically.  That's not what made me angry.  My anger came after I started reading the comments that readers were making about big churches and my church in general.  Some of what they were saying was so stereotypical about churches our size that I wanted to systematically call them out online one-by-one.
 
But I didn't.  And now my anger has faded into disappointment.  Disappointment that people don't know more about the church, so that they can speak from an educated perspective.  They don't know about the international and local missions that we support.  Or the ministries that we offer.
 
And I'm hurt by the things that they said.  And I'd like to know the perspective that they're coming from.  Are they basing their comments on what they know about Joel Osteen's church?  Did they have a bad experience at my church?  I can't know their hearts, but I wish I could.
 
 

1 Comments:

On 22.2.09, Blogger Annie declared...

So, I have a confession as well. As addicted as I am to blogs, I have not been to yours in awhile. So, I was happy you brought it up today because, a) it reminded me you have one and b) we had an interesting discussion about your blog post I hadn't read. :) I'm still a bit outraged about the paying for parking idea. You know, people used to pay for their pews though.

Anyway, my neglect of your blog has now been remedied- I subscribed through google reader. You should check out my new(ish) blog www.iwillliftupmyeyes.blogspot.com

Do I win a prize for longest comment on one post?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home