5.21.2005

Review - Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

It's easy to see how this movie made almost 17mill on midnight showings alone. I bet fanboys would have watched a second showing of it immediately afterwards if they could.

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I was a little concerned about the fact that I had not seen episode two recently and that I would be a little lost. If you had those same fears, don't worry about it. George is a pretty good storyteller and the movie stands alone by itself, if you remember nothing from the other movies. All your familiar characters are there, with the appearence of a few new ones. General Grievous as what appeared to be a part-droid/part-human type thing is a great villain. You don't normally think of droids as bad guys. I could never see Data as a bad guy. Anywho, all the classic Lucas hallmarks are here including your always delightful John Williams score. One of the things I've come to enjoy about the Star Wars movies is Lucas' unique creature creations. My excitement over the opportunity to see Chewbaccas' relatives was quenched and there some cool new additional creatures to marvel at as well. Those little droids that attacked Obi-Wan's shuttle by drilling were cool. And of course the lush scenery created was super-sweet eye candy. And you can't forget Padme's daily hairstyles. But enough about pretty things. How's the story?

For this genre, I think the story is good. I thought it was better than the first two. But that may be because I knew where the story had been and where it had to end up. So perhaps that made it easier to follow. But after two movies of evil lurking, it finally broke through in ROTS. Most of the dialogue was okay, but there was still some hokey lines between Anakin and Padme. George Lucas is a good storyteller and has a great creative mind, but he struggles when it comes to love. But I think I can forgive him for that. And one of the biggest compliments I think I can pay is that this 146 minute movie went like "that." It moved faster than some 90 minute movies I've seen.

All that to say that Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith gets a rating of "9.5." The forced, hokey dialogue is the only thing that kept it from a "10." I will definitely see it again (but I'll wait till it comes to the West Shore Theatre).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home