3.09.2009

Opera Redux

Friday night, I went back to the opera. This time I saw "Don Giovanni." And while it was a little different this around, I still enjoyed it.

The biggest difference was that the only musical accompaniment was the piano. So I missed the fullness of an orchestra, but the piano seemed to hold it's own just fine. The vocalists all did a fine job, and I recognized a few of them from "La Boheme" in the fall. And, I discovered something new....

Some people bring English translations of the italian lyrics to follow along. What a brilliant idea! I mean, I think the Italian language is beautiful, but there's something to be said about understanding what the people are saying. I was doing some research on a possible trip to NYC and I discovered that the Metropolitan Opera actually has monitors in the seatbacks which provide English translation of what is being sung. I'm becoming interested enough in the opera that I would actually be interested in seeing a performance at the Met.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home