12.23.2004

Christmas Eve Eve

First. Sometimes I have things that I would like to share on this blog, but I can't entirely convince myself that this is the proper venue. To make a long story short, something happened last week which bothered me, but I forgot about it until tonight. And now it's on my mind again.

Second. There's an article in the Washington Post about USO tours in Iraq. Well, there's one paragraph that caught my eye which I wanted you all to read. The latter part really helps show the compassionate side of our military effort.
Their last night in Bagram, the celebs are invited to a steak and lobster dinner (with plastic utensils) by the Morale, Welfare and Recreation unit hosting them. Morale is a constant concern in Afghanistan, and each base, no matter how small, has its big-screen TV and movies, often a theater-style popcorn machine, and events, events, events to take the soldiers' minds off the loneliness. There are contests to throw a pie in a colonel's face. There are karaoke nights and bingo games and latte bars and massages for $15 an hour. Food is so plentiful that soldiers' wives complain about how paunchy their husbands get, fighting this war. The troops often ask for toys and school supplies and clothing for the Afghans instead of goodies from home. One base puts up an "angel tree," decorated with envelopes for money to buy items for local schoolchildren. Their requests are written on the outside of each envelope. Nadya wants a winter coat. Ludmila asks for shoes. Galya needs $100 to buy a gravestone.

Sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home