12.19.2004

My musical weekend.

Friday, checked out "Sharers of the Promise" performed at West Shore Free Church. Apparently, it's the first time this production has been performed in the States. It was a different kind of production. I enjoyed some of the music, as well as the dancer who did interpretive dance to I think, three songs. But some of the stuff wasn't as enjoyable, and I thought some of the attempted humor was forced.

Saturday night, I checked out a concert featuring St. Paul's Brass, at Mechanicsburg Presbyterian Church. This was a good concert. It was a quintet featuring trumpet, trombone, french horn, and tuba. They did a really nice job. This was probably my favorite concert of the weekend.

Sunday night, I attended the "Canticle of Joy" Cantata at The Grantham Church. This was actually broken up into two sections. The first portion consisted of congregational carols mixed in with a brass performance and a youth choir. This was probably my favorite portion. The second portion was an actual musical program which featured readings, along with choir numbers, and scattered solos. I wasn't a big fan of the music, but I was real impressed with the orchestra they put together and I thought they did a good job. They even had timpani!!

And since we're on the subject, I need to state for the record that I am a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas carols. Don't give me some new modern arrangement of God Rest Ye Marry Gentlemen. I am a tradtional man who rather enjoys the traditional arrangements. So if you try to jazz something up or get crazy, you're only going to make it worse (at least IMHO). I'm old-school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home