7.22.2005

JGR

Nobody knows much about John Roberts. It’s actually a little amusing to see the Democrats with no discernable ammunition to fire at the moment. They seem to be taking the “he looks good, but we need to check his credentials” kinda approach. Which is cool with me. It’s actually refreshing to see a lack of hostility between the two parties on this issue. Please note, I said “lack of” not “absence of.” Here’s a link if you are interested in taking a peek at some of the stuff he’s worked on.

That reminds me, if you are not registered with The Washington Post, consider doing it. There have been lots of articles there that I would have liked to linked to, but I’ve refrained because most of their site requires registration. The registration is free, and you don’t get annoying emails from them. And you can read stuff that I consider to be worth your time. Register here.

As you may recall from the presidential campaign, I am on the John Kerry email list. On Wednesday night he sent out an email to his people letting them know that he would be steadfast in his pursuit of answers regarding John Roberts' views. Here's what he had to say:

There are big questions that must be answered involving Judge Roberts' judicial philosophy as demonstrated over his short time on the appellate court. The Senate must learn whether he has a clear, consistent commitment to upholding Constitutional standards like civil rights, the right to privacy, and Roe v. Wade. These issues are in serious question if you take even a cursory glance at his record.

We need to ask the tough questions to determine whether John Roberts is the nominee who will give America a Court that is fair, independent, ethical and committed to Constitutional freedoms rather than an ideological agenda, and I promise you I will do everything in my power to assure that no question is sidestepped.

Throughout every step of the confirmation process, I will keep you informed about the questions that need to be asked, the answers we need to demand, and the principles we need to defend. It's impossible to overstate the importance of this moment.

Well I don't know if it's impossible...

Also, my parents are looking to sell their 1998 Toyota Avalon. It’s sparkly-green, beige cloth interior, automatic. It has 99,000 miles on it and an Alpine CD player. I think they’re asking $7,000 for it. Email me if you’re interested.

Finally, I think that the words “thank you” are some of the best words in the world. Whether it’s spelled “Merci” or “Danke” or “Gracias.” It’s music to my ears. Sometimes I forget to say it, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. I’ve had those moments where I’ll be doing something and suddenly realize that I forgot to say thanks for something two hours ago. If that person is in my presence, I’ll say it then, and if not, I will communicate it to them within 24 hours (I’ll do my best anyways). But I like to think that it’s just as rewarding whenever it’s said. Just so long as it gets said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home