6.03.2006

They laughed at me

Because I didn't want to get my shoes wet in the rain. For the sake of full disclosure, I should state that they stifled their laughter pretty well. But it was painfully difficult for them.

I never asked them why they laughed. I suspect it was something related to my concern for my material goods. Or maybe it was because it was fashion-related. And all my friends get a kick out of my fashion-sense.

But nevertheless, they laughed. And I knew beforehand that they would either laugh or they would have some marty-mcsmarty remarks to share. Yet knowing all this, I still shared. Part of it was me being truthful. I didn't want to go out into the rain because I didn't want to mess up my shoes. And I want to be be truthful with people. Especially if they're my friends. But I would be lying if I said that I didn't expect them to find it humorous. I expected them to chuckle a bit perhaps, but I didn't expect how delightfully funny they found it.

So obviously the lesson for me is that if I don't like people laughing at me, don't share things that will make them laugh. Laughing with me is fine. Laughing around me is great. Laughing at me, not so much. Some people, perhaps even one of my roommates will just tell me to suck it up. Perhaps call me a pansy or something of that nature. But that too is expected. Wow, I could right a whole 'nother entry on expectations. Perhaps later this week..

1 Comments:

On 5.6.06, Blogger matt declared...

Some situations in life are just unintentionally humorous. I personally think that a man caring so much about his shoes getting wet as to not want to go out into the rain, is a very funny situation. It's not about who the person is. It's about the situation. I am sure that some people would disagree and some people would agree.

I think many times when someone thinks that others are laughing at them, those people are actually just laughing at a humorous situation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home