11.17.2006

Review - Stranger Than Fiction

So it's been a while since I've reviewed any movies. Long enough that I can't remember the last movie I reviewed. Thursday night I decided that I was going to go to the movies. I shot an email over to my movie-lovin' friend to see if she was interested in seeing some Will Ferrell, but I didn't hear back from her. So I went by myself. (And lo and behold, I noted at least two other single males in attendance.)

After sitting through previews for the new Will Smith movie and that movie where Cameron Diaz switches homes and boyfriends with Kate Winslet, as well as Mandy Moore's next movie (dig that polka-dot dress!), the movie started.

For those who haven't heard, this movie follows an IRS Auditor (played by Farrell), who begins to hear an audible voice narrating his life. I don't want to give away all of the movie, but I will tell you that he attempts to locate the narrator. This movie is a huge departure from most of the films that Ferrell is known for (gems like Night at the Roxbury, Zoolander, and Anchorman). It's still a comedy, but it's a slightly darker comedy. He makes a good single, aloof IRS employee. This movie also features Dustin Hoffman playing the role of faculty lifeguard and Maggie Gyllenhaal as a baker. It's a quirky little movie that should probably be considered more of an independent movie. But with Ferrell's star-power it has received a much broader release.

I liked it. It wasn't a great movie, but I found it funny, touching, and even inspiring. It made me want to really live each day to the fullest and to seize the day. Not something I think about often, but I'll try to think of it going forward. And I'm going to give this movie an "8."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home